Saturday, December 26, 2009

How do I change my gear box oil on my 2002 Harley Davidson Super Glide?

I have been hearing a funny buzzing noise coming from my gear box when riding, and I have not changed the gear box oil yet. I would like to change it but I cannot find the drain plug and oil entry hole (for lack of a better term). Please inform me and let me know how much oil to use. (I am using Harley Davidson Synthetic).How do I change my gear box oil on my 2002 Harley Davidson Super Glide?
The transmission drain plug is on the right side of the oil pan about halfway back. Warm the oil up by riding the bike. Prop the bike upright and pull the plug. Use a new o ring on the plug. The filler is on the front corner of the tranny on the right side.It takes a large allen wrench. Fill the tranny til it's at the right level with the bike upright. Don't screw the plug in to check the level. Just let the threads on the plug rest against the case. Look at the oil you drained out. A metallic sheen is ok.But any chips or flakes of metal means you have a problem. Don't over fill the tranny.How do I change my gear box oil on my 2002 Harley Davidson Super Glide?
Andy is right.


I don't know about your owner's manual, but mine (for '06) has the tranny and engine drain plugs mis-labled. In the pictures, and everything.





How much to use: approx. 1 quart.
the only thing to add is the Part number for the O-ring is 11105 and it takes 20~24 oz of Syn3.





the drain plug is behind the flat piece of steel that hangs down below the right frame rail.
Andy is correct. I just wanted to say that I tried the HD synth in my trans and didn't like it. made my trans noisy. I prefer to use Bel-Ray gear saver. HD oil is just hype anyway.
Andy F is correct.
unless I'm mistaken there are two alan screws on the oil pan, one for oil one for the trans
Andy is right. I can't understand why it seems nobody reads their owners manual. Lots of good stuff in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment