Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Gear oil change necessary or not?

I have a 2005 Scion TC and it has 66k on a 5speed MT. I had my car at the shop and the guy suggested I change my gear oil based of my mileage.





Does this make a huge difference in shifting/driving?


Is it worth it to change it?Gear oil change necessary or not?
OK, I'm not a mechanic, but EVERY time I get an oil change (crank case) they ALWAYS tell me I need everything else chaged too. (transmission, front differential, rear differential, transfer case... it's a 4wd).





They also want to flush your radiator and everything else.





So I ask myself, have I EVER EVER EVER heard of someone's car dying because they didn't change their transmission oil? Have I ever heard of a rear differential dying for lack of oil change? What's your radiator gonna do, just fall out on the ground cause you didn't hook it up to that stupid pressure machine? Oh please!!!!





I would say that if you're not griding the gears all the time then don't worry about it. Worst case scenario, change it once during the life of the vehicle, which maybe fits your situation at 66k miles. But are you even gonna keep it for it's whole life? Really, they just love to scare you into doing things that you don't really need.





They'll still tell you to change the crank-case oil every 3000 miles when many manufactures don't even recommend that any more. I think its probably OK to go 7 - 10 thousand in most modern vehicles.





But Like I said, I'm not a mechanic.Gear oil change necessary or not?
Keeeping on top of fluid changes is going to increase the life of any mechanism, if you live in a city and do constant stop and go driving, changing the gear fluid on a yearly basis is`nt a bad idea and will add to the resale value of your vehicle.


Replace with synthetic fluid, you may not notice any difference in shifting, thats more to do with the transmission, your tranny may be computer controlled it decides your shift points, changing gear fluid may quiet your differential greatly.
Yeah it's probably a good idea to change it. Sure can't hurt anything. Just have to say I've seen cars that never had a gear oil change that never had a problem. The newer transmissions use thinner lube than the old ones did though so probably are a bit more sensitive to change cycles.
Bullcrap.... that stuff NEVER goes bad. You can change the filter/ fluid in an AUTOMATIC transmission and you need to add 5 speed SAE80-90 when it's low but anybody that wants to change that stuff is either: A. A fool; B. A crook; C. An obsessive compulsive clean freak or D. A naive person that believed some crap somebody told him Edit: Fine, you people want to throw your money away on useless crap...send money to me.... give me a break, ';difference in shifting'; yeah, it's SOOOO difficult to shift !
just add and drain really ive never change any of the cars id had and ive had some pretty old cars ..... but adding new fluid couldnt hurt if you got the money why not... but its not a have to thing just long as you have it check and its full is all you really need... and no you will not know if its been changed or not
yea it wouldnt be a bad idea to change it, but i dont think you have to change it too often. it breaks down too just like motor oil, but rear end grease and tranny , it doesnt break down as fast as motor oil.
you won't see any different in shifting but the rearendwill oil last longer oil is cheaper than parts and a lot easier to install.
You MUST change it.........unless you want your gears to start ripping apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment