Saturday, December 26, 2009

How would you take the smell of gear oil out of a carpet you cant move,its in my car?

All of these answers so far address treating the area of the carpet on which the oil was spilt. Problem is the smell has already been absorbed into the remaining fabrics and finishes that comprise the vehicle's interior and using products that smell nice merely masks anything that is unpleasant, it doesn't necessarily remove it.





A subscriber to the Daily Telegraph Motoring Newsletter, submitted a piece about a year ago relating to much the same thing. Bizarre though it may seem, his solution was to place several cardboard trays of grass cuttings across the backseat. This he did for a couple of months, replacing each batch of cuttings when they started to decompose. At the end of the term the smell of the oil had disappeared along with all the other nasty smells that can accumulate as a car gets older.





I can attest to the validity of his claim because I took his advice to get rid of the smell of stale tobacco in my car. It really does work. Why I don't know but I'm sure a chemist could answer that question. What I do know is that after a couple of weeks the interior of the car smelled cleaner and fresher than I had ever known it.





I've tried to trace the piece that was written for you but it is apparently no longer available in an accessible archive. However, grass cuttings cost nothing and you have nothing to lose by giving it a try. I think you might be very surprised by the outcome.How would you take the smell of gear oil out of a carpet you cant move,its in my car?
Simple Green.





Or you can take some oil absorbant granules (Kitty Litter) and brush it in really good into the carpet at the effected area, then vaccuum.How would you take the smell of gear oil out of a carpet you cant move,its in my car?
Two choices. 1 pour a small amt. of viniger on it, mop up with a towel. 2 Cover spot with baking soda, press into carpet, let set for a while, then vac.
Simple Green...it's the BOMB. Then, when the smell has been neutralized, use Febreeze for a nice, pleasant, not overpowering smell.
if you go to azfamily.com and click on the queen of clean it may be there or you can email her. she has a book out and has also been on oprah she's really good
  • bloom-
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment