Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What manual transmission gear oil can I use?

I have a 1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R. It has the SR20DE engine and RS5F32V transmission, with limited slip. I don't care about performance, but am replacing a seal and need to replace the gear oil. The only thing I've found is 75-90 GL-4 fluid recommended for it, but only GL-5 fluid is available at parts stores. Can anyone PLEASE verify what I can and can not run in this vehicle?? Thank you very much.What manual transmission gear oil can I use?
You can run the GL-5 fluid in your tranny. The GL-4 is ';out of date'; so to speak...the GL-5 is just the next best thing that they have come out with. Castrol makes a moly 75-90 that will work as well...hope this helpsWhat manual transmission gear oil can I use?
gl5 isnt an upgrade to gl4 and it isnt for the same type of transmissions Report Abuse

In my experience GL-4 is more often used in manual transmissions and GL-5 is used more in differentials. I know some transmissions call for GL-5 but I don't think it is a substitute for GL-4 because they still have GL-4 available. I know the API ratings are based on different factors and some people will tell you that GL-5 is just a step up and is better but it may not be compatible with the metals, and or seals in your transmission. Check with a Nissan dealer or even buy the oil from the parts department at the dealership the price difference is minimal and you know you have the right oil. If the Sentra is one your thinking about keeping I would look at using a synthetic oil, although the price for synthetic is higher the oil performs better, longer, which helps to protect the gears, bearings, and synchronizers inside your manual transmission.
It depends somewhat on what climate you live in. The higher viscosity oils like GL-5 are normally better suited for high performance or tropical weather climates. The 75-90 GL-4 fluid should work just fine. The limited slip axle will require special ';limited slip'; (non-hypoid) gear oil, also in the 75-90 viscosity.
here you go ,it states it is not interchangeable http://www.stealth316.com/misc/pennzoil_鈥?/a>
Go to the dealer and see if you can get something from them. If not, ask a parts store to get you some of the GL 4 stuff.





I never knew there was a big difference...... granted in the stuff I put 'gear oil' in, it really doesn't matter....

No comments:

Post a Comment