Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What weight of gear oil do I put in a Honda 9.9 4 stroke?

I have honda 9.9 HP 4 stroke outboard motor that is having a hard time shifting. I took the gear oil plug out and could not see any gear oil. What is the weight of oil I shoul be putting in it.


This motor has been sitting a while and has a hard time going into reverce. Is my problem the gear oil, or could I have bigger problems?What weight of gear oil do I put in a Honda 9.9 4 stroke?
If you had no oil in the lower unit and you have been running it, you may have a ruined lower unit. Try filling it with a 85w 90 marine gear oil, Honda used Mercury premium blend or Hi performance gear oil in their bigger motor and it will work in yours.


Run it and see if it gets better, if not, time to rebuild or replace.





Don't have a clue what the other guy is talking about.What weight of gear oil do I put in a Honda 9.9 4 stroke?
a honda four stroke is a honda... i thought the unit has a common sump... (its a generator engine at th end f the day) drain it, flush it out with a mix of parrafin and old oil, (run it for a few minutes til hot) then stop and drain it, fill it with 15-40. 15-50....
I think the first guy is talking about giving the power head castor oil?????





I would use mercans advise. Fill it with marine gear lube ( I always use merc Hi-perf), see if the problem goes away. I would run in for a few minutes in gear and drain the gear lube agian to check for metal flakes. To help from taking it out on the lake and getting stuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment