Tuesday, December 22, 2009

How often do you personally bother to change the gear oil in your Manual transmission car?

I'll check it fairly regularly but I don't change it unless I had to drain it (i.e. replace a clutch or rear main seal) or if it looks noticably bad.How often do you personally bother to change the gear oil in your Manual transmission car?
manual trannys don't have to have flow to clutches or pumps, or torque converters that have to have slippage. That's why they use oil instead of fluid. It just has to lube the working parts. Since the oil just sloshes around in the tranny and isn't pumped through a system the debris(metal shavings from gears) will settle to the bottom and not cause any problems. If the oil level gets low it can cause problems but this never happens unless you have a leak which you will see. Therefore you don't have to change the oil and rarely have to add any. If there is enough sediment from wear on the gears to warrant changing the oil the tranny will be causing enough problems to warrant a complete rebuild anyway.How often do you personally bother to change the gear oil in your Manual transmission car?
every 30-40k regarless, the oil act's as a lube but since there is no filter it collect's all the metal that wear's off, and if you don't change it, you might as well throw sand in there 'cos your aggrivating any wear that is occuring
I like to keep it clean. So I change it about every 15000 miles. It is cheaper to change the oil then the transmission.
Depending on your manufactured vehicle, Between 80,000 to 100,000 miles.
I change it as often as I get a chance to. This really helps to extend the life of your transmission.
I think my owners manual say's 80.000 miles but I change mine once a year unless I drive in dusty or wet conditions. I can tell if it needs it when I check it at each oil change. A well maintained transmission will last longer, work smoother and drive better.
75000 miles on flat,dry climates 50000 on wet,hilly,mountanous terrain.but should use manufacturers reccomendation for that make and model.just to be safe

No comments:

Post a Comment