Monday, April 26, 2010

Is Spectro's Hypoid GL-5 80w-90 gear oil the same as any other Gl-5 80w-90 gear oil?

I need to get more and really don't want to drive 15 times the distance to pay extra at the cycle shop if I can get the same thing from Autozone instead. It's for my V-star 1100 if it matters.





ThanksIs Spectro's Hypoid GL-5 80w-90 gear oil the same as any other Gl-5 80w-90 gear oil?
Don't waste your money. Buy any GL-5 spec 80w-90 gear oil. ';Motorcycle'; oils are nothing more than a marketing scam. Your dealer recommends them because he makes a lot of money selling them, and the oil manufacturers love it because they can charge a lot more for them. This is doubly true for final drive oils. Shaft-drive bikes are not at all hard on their final drive oil. The cheapest oil that meets the manufacturer's specs will be completely up to the job.





I've owned shaft driven bikes since the early 80's, including one very high-mileage Voyager, and I have always used Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire gear oils in the shaft drive.





In the end, your owner's manual contains all the information you need. Notice that not a single owner's manual recommends ';motorcycle'; lubricants. The closest is HD that recommends using their own lubricants.


Is Spectro's Hypoid GL-5 80w-90 gear oil the same as any other Gl-5 80w-90 gear oil?
2 thumbs up for Dani....


GL-5 gear oil is GL-5 gear oil, no matter who's name is on the bottle.


It's the rating that matters. All my bikes manuals have listed oil specs, not manufacturers, excepting HD (as Dani noted) because they want you to use their name brand.


I used the low-cost stuff from Autozone and sometimes Wal-Mart in my 4 wheel drive trucks. Their gearcases are worse on oils than any motorcycle driveshaft. One reason for my confidence in putting it in my Yamaha.
  • gas mask
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment