Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Hi do any one no what gear oil i need to put in my 1999 honda cr 250 thanks?

Any light oil that is suitable for 2 stroke gearbox's.


Silkoline, castrol, rock oil, motul and putoline are to name but a few.


Normal car engine oil is not any good due to the different additives that are in it can lead to clutch slip or drag, and they are not designed to cope with the shearing forces that are found in a straight cut gearbox cluster.Hi do any one no what gear oil i need to put in my 1999 honda cr 250 thanks?
You have chosen the wrong answer, You need to look in the manual, which I did. Wet clutches in motorcycles all are soaked in regular motoroil, that is why they don't burn out quickly. My answer comes straight from the service manual Report Abuse
Hi do any one no what gear oil i need to put in my 1999 honda cr 250 thanks?
And I apologise because I forgot the CR WAS a 2 stroke. Report Abuse

I assume you are talking about for your transmission? If so this is what you need





ProHondaHP trans oil, Pro Honda GN 4 4 stroke oil or equivalent motor oil


API service classification SF or SG


SAE 10W-40
It just takes a standard motorcycle engine oil suitable for air cooled engines.





Halfords do one in a dark purple 5 ltr container.
i use 20-40 in my older bike but alot of the newer bikes take regular 10w30 motor oil in the transmission....Might want to check a dealer or manual because the wrong oil may cause clutch slippage
Any quality, brand name, 4 stroke motor oil 10W-40 (10W50 in warm climates).


I know your bike is a 2 stroke.


2 stroke crankcases use 4 stroke motor oil.
look in the service manual or phone you local honda dealer.

No comments:

Post a Comment