Friday, January 8, 2010

Is the vent screw for putting gear oil in the foot of my outboard motor?

30 hp marinerIs the vent screw for putting gear oil in the foot of my outboard motor?
Yes it is, if your changing the gear-oil you will need two tubes of (Hi-Vis 90 weight) gear oil. First take out the lower gear-case screw then the VENT screw and drain the oil out. This must be done with the Motor in the upright position.


To refill put the oil in through the lower gear-case screw until it starts to flow out the vent screw, now put in the VENT SCREW FIRST this will stop the oil from flowing out the lower screw hole, then quickly replace the lower screw.


NOTE: Check the screw gaskets (washers) and make sure there in good condition.


It's that easy this should be done once a year usually before winter storage to make sure that no water has leaked in, which could freeze and crack the gear-case (lower unit) . Happy boating.





P.S. I stand corrected and thank you ss350 you are right about using (Hi-Vis OIL). Guess my head was up my Ying-Yang for a moment there.


Where was I !!


Will edit my answer.Is the vent screw for putting gear oil in the foot of my outboard motor?
While paul is correct about the gear oil change procedure, I would check on the choice of oil. As far as I know Type-C oil was for the old electric shift units. I think your 30 mariner should use High-Viscosity 80/90 outboard gear oil
Paul is right on the money. Take special notice about the washers he is talking about. If they arent on the plug when you remove it be sure to dig it out of the hole and replace it with another one.
  • bloom-
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment